Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Crafting with kids

There is nothing more meaningful to me than letting a child be creative. I grew up in a home where the walls were painted every couple of months (yes I’m serious) and they were always painted white. I couldn’t stand it!


By the time I was in high school my creative juices were going crazy! Because I wasn’t allowed to paint my walls I painted everything else. I met my first husband at the paint counter in our local hardware store. That cracks me up! I have always said being in a house where everything was the same made me very creative! Hence the reason I followed my interior design dreams in college.


Shawn’s niece, Hayley, is always begging to come craft with me. I admit I haven’t taken the time to sit down and come up with something quick and easy that would hold her attention, until this week. Her birthday was Tuesday so what a perfect time to make her a diy “BFF” block sayings.



In little Miss Hayley’s words her 10 year old BFF is going through some tough times and she really wanted to make her something special. So we sat down together to craft, me thinking I’ll do a set for her BFF and she can do a set for herself. Well she had a different idea. I was not to touch them. Haha She did them all by herself and they turned out great! I'll see if I can't sneak a picture next time we are over there.





I totally forgot to take a picture of the finished product but picture red letters on zebra paper with LOTS of jewels around each letter. As she was completing her first letter she tells me she doesn’t want them to be to gaudy when she was finished. I couldn’t help but laugh out loud.

In the coming weeks we will be focusing on wood product kits with a line of them geared toward the younger generation. Watch our facebook page for more information. These will make great birthday party crafts!

No comments:

Post a Comment